I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. And I don't want to get to the end, or to tomorrow, even, and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and receipts and dirty dishes. I want to eat cold tangerines and sing out loud in the car with the windows open and wear pink shoes and stay up all night laughing and paint my walls the exact color of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets and throw parties and eat ripe tomatoes and read books so good they make me jump up and down, and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift."

-Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines

Saturday, December 25, 2010

joy defined

A few minutes ago, I was checking facebook. One of my fellow Camp Tecumseh fanatics had posted a very inspirational quote in a group. 

"Joy is not the ABSENCE of pain, but the PRESENCE of love."


She had heard this said at a sermon on Christmas Eve. I think that joy is a very important aspect of Christmas. We all feel it as the exciting holiday approaches and we can truly revel in it as we reflect on the birth of Jesus. I think it is very important for us to remember that bringing about love rather than attempting to rid the world of pain is the most effective way to instill joy in our lives.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment