I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. And I don't want to get to the end, or to tomorrow, even, and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and receipts and dirty dishes. I want to eat cold tangerines and sing out loud in the car with the windows open and wear pink shoes and stay up all night laughing and paint my walls the exact color of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets and throw parties and eat ripe tomatoes and read books so good they make me jump up and down, and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift."

-Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines

Monday, June 4, 2012

friendship defined

The dictionary has this to say about friendship:
"the emotions or conduct of friends; the state of being friends; a relationship between friends"

I think this definition is flawed and incomplete. Friendship is so much more than a relationship or a conduct. Friendship is so many wonderful things.

Friendship is support. It is showing up when it counts and going to watch lacrosse games, piano recitals, choir and band concerts, plays, shows, and performances of all kinds. It is giving a pal support in good times and bad and cheering them on in all their endeavors.



Friendship is eating together. Seriously, there is no greater time than sharing a good meal with someone you love. Food is such a cultural gem and is always bringing people together. And having common favorites (for example: Diet Coke)? That pretty much forms an unbreakable bond. That common love for some food (or drink) brings friends together and it's just really great.







Friendship is having common interests. It is loving activities, movies, games, songs, and places, all together. Common interests bring us all together and allow us to bond over something as simple as a television show or a song. 








Friendship is silliness. It is the refusal to always take each other seriously, because that's just no fun. Friendship is about laughing so hard you pee or cry or roll on the ground-- real knee-slapping laughter. It's about jokes and fun and craziness.







In the end, friendship is loving someone no matter what. It is sharing Christ's love with another person and never abandoning them. Friendship is love and I for one hope to embrace all of my relationships with this mentality so that we can grow as friends and children of God-- loving and appreciating each and every person in our lives and each and every day we are granted.

1 comment: