I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. And I don't want to get to the end, or to tomorrow, even, and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and receipts and dirty dishes. I want to eat cold tangerines and sing out loud in the car with the windows open and wear pink shoes and stay up all night laughing and paint my walls the exact color of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets and throw parties and eat ripe tomatoes and read books so good they make me jump up and down, and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift."

-Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines

Monday, January 17, 2011

friendship

I believe that our society misdefines friendship. In my opinion, friendship is so much more than 'the state of being friends'. It means trust and support, sure. But still, it means more. It means honesty. It means fun. It means being silly and ridiculous every once in a while, just because you want to. Friendship means listening when that person is feeling down, and knowing you can count on them to listen too. Friendship is a loving relationship. It means being third-- putting others before yourself, and God above all. There are so many indescribable components of a friendship.

It is because of these many reasons that I love friendship bracelets! These marvelous masterpieces say it all. Not only do they show that your friends care enough to spend time on something special just for you, they posses an unspoken meaning-- You are loved. You are appreciated. You are my friend.

This is why I was so filled with joy when I got my FBC (Friendship Bracelet Club) sweatshirt from Sarah Wright this past week. I was also filled with joy as i read her blog post on Overlap about National Friendship Bracelet Day (January 13th). 

In the words of young Jessica, I like my friends, I like my friendship bracelets, I like my sweatshirts, I like my stuff, I like my Harry Potter, I like my whole life
Jessica's Daily Affirmations

1 comment:

  1. Alli Kenney you are wise. Friendship is all of those things you listed. Really great friends are not always easy to find. When you do find them it is so important to invest time into those relationships to keep them strong.

    ReplyDelete