I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. And I don't want to get to the end, or to tomorrow, even, and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and receipts and dirty dishes. I want to eat cold tangerines and sing out loud in the car with the windows open and wear pink shoes and stay up all night laughing and paint my walls the exact color of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets and throw parties and eat ripe tomatoes and read books so good they make me jump up and down, and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift."

-Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

grace kelly

On Saturday night I attended a hockey game in honor of Grace Kelly Leon. Grace is in 7th grade and has been diagnosed with Lymphoma Cancer. She is the younger sister of a friend of mine. My community is being hit hard with cancer right now. A teammate's dad has a brain tumor. A senior has bone cancer in his pelvis. A sophomore has Leukemia. A graduate's mom has breast cancer. And now Grace Kelly is suffering too. All of this has brought so much pain and sadness to the people around me each day and it is so hard to accept that cancer is this present in my life. But what keeps me going is the spirit I see in all the supporters of these sick people. Watching Grace skate out to the middle of the rink supported by two hockey players to drop the puck before the game on Saturday warmed my heart. There is a bright spot in the darkness-- it is possible to find joy among all the sadness. Please pray for Grace Kelly, Luke Hacherl, Stuart Shultz, Mark Payne, and Mrs. Langsenkamp. Help them find joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment