I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. And I don't want to get to the end, or to tomorrow, even, and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and receipts and dirty dishes. I want to eat cold tangerines and sing out loud in the car with the windows open and wear pink shoes and stay up all night laughing and paint my walls the exact color of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets and throw parties and eat ripe tomatoes and read books so good they make me jump up and down, and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift."

-Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines

Monday, January 31, 2011

IB musical investigation

If you have never listened to Bosnian Ganga music..... well, I don't recommend it. It mostly sounds like a bunch of people shouting and wailing. There are no instruments. There's no way to distinguish a rhythm. And it isn't particularly entertaining or rewarding. HOWEVER I am learning quite a bit. I absolutely love music and everything about it. It's so complex and detailed and fragile. . . yet still so powerful and moving. Music is one thing that can always bring a smile to my face, an intriguing thought to my mind, and joy to my heart. I have learned a lot about ganga music and it has been very interesting to compare it to Bruno Mars' 'Just the Way You Are' under the topic of 'How different cultures express love through music'. I'm currently about 900 words short of the requirement. . . but I'm not too bothered by that. I'm mostly proud of the knowledge I've gained so far. I wish I could learn everything with this kind of hunger and intrigue. I wish pre-calculus and physics were this easy to be drawn in by! Sadly, I will have to create the intrigue for myself and make a conscious effort to learn for knowledge and growth rather than for the minimum requirement of getting by. I'm done with barely getting by and making excuses. I'm done with allowing myself to be bored by school just because the things we're learning may not effect my life in the long run. Whether I like it or not-- the things we are learning are effecting my life right now. It is for that reason that I want to learn just for learning's sake; for the joy of knowledge.

With that I'll be getting back to my paper. It's going to be a very long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment